Banana and Chocolate Smoothie

Katie Beadle is a third year BSc Web Design and Technology student at the University of Bradford. She has her own blog – Rainbow Sunshine Blogs – where she posts recipes and the occasional DIY tip. Here she shares a great way to kickstart the new year – especially if you got a blender for Christmas.

Around this time last year, between two exams, I visited the Sustrans smoothie bike set up in Student Central, which was accompanied by a small massage stall for relieving exam stress, and made my first smoothie made by cycling on the bike fitted with a blender.

It was a berry smoothie with half a banana, some frozen berries (i.e. blueberries, strawberries and raspberries) and apple juice.  This smoothie made me want to explore making simple but delicious smoothies.

I started using my parents’ old blender to make myself smoothies that filled the whole capacity of a pint mug and included spinach and cucumber green smoothies and banana and date smoothies.  My favourite smoothie recipe matches my favourite food but is also quite a healthy and dairy-free smoothie and just needs three ingredients and a blender.  It’s ideal for when you need a quick and easy-to-make snack for when you’re revising for exams or frantically typing for a deadline.  I hope everyone has a stress-free exam period and a successful 2016!

Ingredients (to fill 1 pint mug)

3-4 bananas
2 teaspoons cocoa/drinking chocolate powder
½ cup of water

Instructions

• Cut bananas into slices.
  • Gradually add slices of banana to blender, allowing the slices to fully blend before you add any more.
  • Add two teaspoons of cocoa/drinking chocolate powder and ½ cup of water to blended banana mixture and continue to blend.
  • Once the mixture has reached a smooth liquid consistency, pour into a pint glass/mug and enjoy!