How to make university work for you

You may be torn between doing a degree or an apprenticeship, but the good news is you don’t have to choose between studying or working.

We’re Making Knowledge:

Here are top five courses that have on the job training embedded into them, leaving you graduating ready to take on the world of work.

BSc (Hons) Economics (with a placement year)

Hands-on training is embedded into the course. You will learn to use Bloomberg Professional in the Bradford Trading Room, which simulates a real trading environment so you can get a feel for making real investment decisions and learn how to deal responsibly with financial and economic market data.

Zareen Khan did her placement year at the Government Economics Service in the Department for Work and Pensions in London.

“Having this experience was life changing for me. No one treated me as a student, they invested so much in me. I was responsible for making a performance pack for the minister which was a big responsibility. It helped me learn and grow as an economist.”

BA (Hons) Applied Criminal Justice (with a placement year)

If you are interested in working in the community, in law enforcement or for the prison service working with offenders our criminal justice course could be for you.

By doing this course you will be well-equipped to start making a real difference to people’s lives even before you graduate.

For example, one of our students had a placement with a youth offending team where she worked with a child with selective mutism and had not spoken for years.

Over an 11-week period our student built a rapport with the child, playing with her, reading to her, braiding her hair. Eventually the child began to trust her and started talking to her. It was a life-changing experience for the student, the child and her family.

MChem Chemistry (with industrial experience)

Love science but don’t know what kind of jobs you can go into? Our MChem Chemistry programme could be for you.

Elizabeth Guest did her year in industry at Orean Personal Care, an independent cosmetics manufacturer.

“For me, the most valuable year was my fourth and final year, which was spent on a placement. It has allowed me to apply my chemical knowledge to real situations, whilst also giving me an invaluable insight into the working world.”

BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering (with a placement year)

If you are interested in a career in mechanics, our Mechanical Engineering degree may be for you. The course is professionally accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and you will be using equipment that you can expect to find in industry. You will also benefit from Bradford’s strong links with the automotive industry.

Sarah-Jane Tonks did her placement year for Nissan.

“My placement helped me understand where my knowledge and experience as a student fits into a global company. Sometimes the most elegant engineering solutions won’t work in a competitive market, and there’s nothing more competitive than the automotive industry right now.

Many of our graduates have gone onto roles at leading companies including Jaguar Land Rover, Ford Motor Company, Horiba MIRA and Cummins.

All of our Engineering courses offer this type of real-world experience, so you’re not limited to which course you’d like to do.

BSc (Hons) Business and Management Studies (with a placement year)

Are you itching to get out into the world of work but aren’t really sure what area you want to work in? Our business and management studies degree covers a range of topics from accounting to marketing.

Elliot Morrell did a placement year at Samworth Brothers and went onto do an Operations Management graduate scheme at Ocado.

“My degree was heavily related to my industrial placement year as well as the graduate scheme I am now on. Studying subjects such as Operations Management, Strategic Management and Human Resource Management have all lent themselves to my work experience when managing both people and different types of operations.

My degree gave me the chance to put good solid learning into practice once I was working full time.”

Find a course that’s right for you

These are just some of the courses that offer industry experience – we have tons! Take a look at all of our courses for 2017 entry.

Call our Clearing helpline 0800 073 1225 to discuss your options.

Author: Alice Gill

Alice works in the Content Team at the University of Bradford, and creates great content to help students make decisions about their future. Alice studied Marketing at university and one day hopes to adopt a panda.