It’s never too late to start your degree

Going to university after a break from education can be daunting. If it’s something you’re considering though, you won’t be alone – around a third of our undergraduate students are classed as “adult learners”.

Adult learners in a lectureWhat’s an adult learner?

Adult learners or “mature students” are students who haven’t taken the usual route to university.

Adult learners may choose to go to university for a number of reasons:

  • to help them through a career change,
  • to help them progress in their current job role,
  • they have taken time out to travel, raise children, or higher education just wasn’t the right route for them when they left school.

We also have students who have retired, and are doing degrees simply because they are interested in the subject.

What’s the age limit for applying to university?

University isn’t just a young person’s game! There is no age limit to starting an undergraduate degree here at the University of Bradford.

The same support is available to students of all ages. We also have our own nursery to help parents out with childcare.

Leanne Hunt - adult learner BSc PsychologyApply through Clearing and start this September

If you have the right qualifications you can start your degree this September, even if you don’t currently hold any university offers.

Clearing helps applicants without offers to find their place on a course. It’s already open, and if you have the right qualifications, you can find a place on a course straight away.

How do I apply through Clearing?

  1. Complete a UCAS application. You won’t need to specify courses or universities.
  2. Look out for an email from UCAS with your Clearing number and a link to the track service.
  3. Start searching for courses and contacting universities. If you meet the acceptance criteria, you could be offered a place straight away!

Many school and college students won’t receive their results until mid-August, so you have a head start to find a place on your perfect course.

What qualifications will I need?

Most universities state their entry requirements in UCAS points.

UCAS points are allocated to many different types of qualifications, including A-levels, BTECs, City & Guilds and Access to Higher Education Diplomas. You can find out how many UCAS points your qualifications are worth on the UCAS tariff-calculator.

If you would like to discuss your qualifications, you can call the University of Bradford’s Clearing helpline on 0800 073 1225.

How many UCAS points you need, and in which particular subjects, varies from course to course. As an adult learner, you may find that qualifications and experience not listed by UCAS may assist your application.

To discuss your own unique situation, we recommend you contact our Adult Learner Advisor, Caroline Priestley, on:

Students in an engineering labHelp…I’ve not studied in years!

After leaving school or college, many of us assume we won’t be going back. It can be difficult to get back into the swing of learning. Many new adult learners feel nervous, and worry that they might not be able to keep up.

We offer a range of support services to help with the transition, including a two-day Trans:it event. This offers support with a range of academic skills, and gives you chance to meet fellow adult learners and current students, and to get familiar with the campus.

Search our courses and apply through Clearing

Clearing is open now and we have places available on many of our courses.

Search our courses, or apply online for an instant answer.

Author: Steve Hobson

Steve works within the Content Team at the University of Bradford. He studied an online degree in E-communication, and his goal for 2018 is to compete in the World Stone Skimming Championship in Easdale, Scotland.

Leave a Reply