Changes for the School of Lifelong Education and Development

I reported in my May update that the academic reviews had recommended the disestablishment of the School of Lifelong Education and Development. Senate and Council approved those recommendations at their recent meetings and the Task and Finish Group is now working with staff and colleagues in other departments, students and unions, to ensure that the best practice in all areas of the schools work is embedded across the University. This is likely to be completed by 31 July 2012.

The decision was taken in the context of the significant changes in government policy and the aim to build on our strengths to recruit top quality students and staff. It was an academic decision, though of course we must always make sure we are achieving value for money.

The Task and Finish Group, Chaired by Prof Barry Winn is working with staff and unions to determine how the changes can be taken forward. It will mean some existing academic courses moving to different schools and others, because of low recruitment, may be suspended.

Details of courses which remain open or are suspended.

Discussions on the remaining SLED functions are ongoing and I will keep you informed of developments. I would like to put on record my appreciation for the tremendous work that staff in SLED have done since the school was established in 2001.