Stepping Down as Vice-Chancellor

I am writing to let you know that I will be stepping down from my role as Vice-Chancellor and leaving the University of Bradford at the end of June 2013. At that point I will have spent six years in the role. It has been both challenging and enjoyable in equal measure and I feel a real passion and pride for the University. I remain confident that, despite the challenges which both Bradford and the wider Higher Education sector face, we will continue to thrive and to take a real pride in the work that we do. I do feel that it is a good time for a fresh pair of eyes to look at, and lead, the University.

I have of course discussed the timing of my announcement with Paul Jagger, Chair of University Council. By announcing my departure now I want to ensure that there is plenty of time for the process of recruiting a new Vice-Chancellor to take place. I shall look forward to returning to my academic research and writing in the field of historical geography and development studies.

I want to emphasise that the announcement of my departure will not alter in any way my determination to continue to work with you and my management team to respond to the kinds of challenges and opportunities that I outlined in the series of presentations I made to Schools and Corporate Services recently. At those meetings we discussed the key improvements that we needed to make if we are to progress and thrive in the current Higher Education environment.

I do believe that my optimism, that we can meet those challenges, is not misplaced but it will require a sharp focus in all our work on the quality of what we do. Many of the improvements in our performance that will help us to continue to flourish are fortunately in our own hands.

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2012 in News