Katie Meets the Parents!

© Victor de Jesus.

Parents are often key decision makers for students who are deciding which University or degree to choose. Many of you will work with parents to advise them on all things related to Higher Education. We’re here to help too, and recently Katie met with a group of parents to share some important information.

KatieI was recently fortunate enough to be offered some time on the agenda at Laisterdyke Business and Enterprise Colleges’ fortnightly parents meeting. First of all I’d like to reflect on how positive it is that (busy) parents of students of all ages meet on such a regular basis. With 20 parents in attendance on the day, it was clear that parents of students across the school communicate with each other about pertinent school issues, and have the opportunity to engage and communicate with senior leaders at the school on a regular basis.

I had the difficult task of following the very impressive, and very lively Road Safety Team from Bradford Council who were there to talk about safe driving. A quick gulp of coffee for an energy boost and off I went… I managed to cover a general overview of the University of Bradford, some recent successes we’ve had over the past year, student finance, and we also discussed student life at Bradford.

It was clear that many parents had concerns about their children starting University, becoming independent and possibly living away from home. It was great to be able to address these concerns and have such an honest and open conversation with all of the parents, and I’d like to thank them for their openness.

I’ve offered the group a chance to come and have a tour of the University campus and accommodation so they can see for themselves how impressive, friendly and safe the campus really is. I’ve also suggested meeting with our Student’s Union Sabbatical Officers to gain an insight into what life as a student at Bradford is really like. I certainly hope the group take me up on the offer; I’d be honoured to show them around.

What I enjoyed most about the session was being able to make local parents aware of just how lucky we are as a city to have such an impressive, research active and internationally recognised institution on our doorstep; and so easily accessible for our young people. It was clear the parents took this away from the session, and it was great to see so many of them jotting down this year’s open day dates in order to come along with their families.
I’d like to say a big thank you to the staff and parents at Laisterdyke Business and Enterprise College for being so welcoming, I look forward to seeing you and your families on campus soon.