Thinking about ‘how’.

In my previous post I was thinking about the stages of hermeneutic work on the texts you guys have sent me. For the last two days I have been thinking about how I’ll capture all that in as faithful and immediate a way as possible, so as to maximise on the experientiality of interpretation.

So, here’s what I’m thinking so far:

1. the texts you’ve sent will be put into a basic word document (in a password protected folder on my personal, secure-server-located, drive to try to protext confidentiality as much as possible).

2. I’ll will use ‘track changes’ and ‘comments mark-up’. This is useful because I can see these additions in-text or I can just view my additions.

3. I will use interlining and intralining – this means I’ll be able to use every-other-line to record my interpretive interactions (interlining) and I’ll use the track changes to literally add responsiveness into the lines themselves as needed (intralining).

4. Once the texts have been worked with I can then load these into Microsoft Office OneNote so that I can search across different participants texts and link in findings from the literature.

What I’ve yet to decide is at what stage I transfer from Word to OneNote. I suppose what I’m saying is that I need some more thinking – and maybe even a dry run with my own story to fully be able to decide what to do in Word and how much to do in OneNote.

Other things I’m also considering:

I am more than happy to work on the PC but I can’t deny that I’m more than happy working with paper and pens? Should I be printing out the double-spaced pages? I could use different colour pens for the different stages of interpretation? I could even glue the A4 sheets onto A3 pages to afford even more space for interpretive work. This needs some further thought – maybe I should, as I said above, practise it on my own story as a trial. In fact, that is exactly what I will do – the same as I practised bracketing on it to prove to myself that it’s not possible.

Another idea was to use plastic transparencies – old-fashioned these days perhaps but with a distinct advantage of colour coding, overlaying and multi-layering.

Much more tinkering and thinking, I think.