Reflections on Galvanising for Publication

I’ve been thinking a bit recently about that hackneyed adage about waiting for a bus, waiting, waiting…and then two (or three?) come at once. My year feels a little like that. To look at my list of publications or on ORCID, you could be forgiven for thinking I haven’t been up to much.

In fact, I feel as if I done little but consistently work on things, it’s just the way these systems work – journals and scholarly books and so on – sometimes things are being worked upon and then suddenly everything’s out. So, at this rate, I will be bold, and predict that 2021 might be a bumper year for me – at least it will seem it to others as I tweet updates about things to read. Funny that, really, given how many a meme out there is waving goodbye to the nightmare that has been 2020 already and we are collectively feeling glad to see the back of it.

Reflecting here, I’m trying to add a little nugget that might keep me motivated at some later point, something I can look back on on the rough days when I either feel productivity flagging or I’m struggling to even get on the case with my writing. Sometimes I struggle to find the worth of anything in write-up and at others I’m brimming with the desire to write and think and nothing will stand in the way of that – I just wish it were more consistent, that latter state. So, here goes, a list to track the things that are beginning/in progress that I hope will be proudly listed at some point during the next year:

In no particular order:

• my completed autoethnography of male eating disorders (like pulling teeth, this one, a real labour of love to stick with it)
  • a new edition of a previous book
  • my new book on male eating disorders
  • an article with the fantastic Hannah Stoyel and colleagues about disordered eating & body image in athletes
  • the hermeneutics article
  • a chapter on men and boys for an applied text on eating disorders
  • an article on male eating disorders for a special issue.

I hope I get to look back at these on the less fruitful days and look at what I’ve (by then) now achieved or look at all the inspiring and fascinating things I have going on in this part of my life, any of which could spark me to sit at the keyboard even when motivation is waning.